Andrews High School (AHS) was established in 1922 with grades 7-11 on a campus on Farr Avenue. In 1963, the campus was moved to Alder Street a few blocks away. It remained there for 47 years before being moved to its current location on County Line Road. In the 2010-2011 year, two of the school's administrators received their doctorate degree. In the ninth grade year, the school has employed the Freshman Academy system. The school looks forward to celebrating its 100th graduating Class in the spring of 2013.
The first school in Andrews opened in 1911. The building was located on Morgan Avenue. One student graduated from this school in the spring of 1912. In 1922, the first Andrews High School building opened. In 1939, the first gym for Andrews High School was built alongside the Farr Avenue building. In the mid-1950s, a cafeteria was built facing Morgan Avenue. This building continues to be used today as the Town Hall.
When the school moved out in the mid-1960s, the main high school building and the grammar school building were torn down, leaving the gym and the cafeteria. The gym continued to be used by the rec department until 2009, when the building was torn down due to disrepair and lack of funds for upkeep.
The Colored school in Andrews, Rosemary School, was established in the 20s, shortly after the establishment of Andrews High School. The first Rosemary School Campus was on what is now the National Guard Armory. It remained there until the mid-50s when the campus near the end of Jones Ave was built. When integration came to Andrews in the early 70s, Rosemary became the Middle School (grades 5-8), while the Grammar School grades and the High School grades remained at the Alder St campus of Andrews High.
The second campus was located on Alder Street. When integration came to Andrews in 1970, the middle school grades (5-8) were moved to the former Rosemary High School, now Rosemary Middle School. The elementary school grades (K-4) remained at the Andrews High campus until 1984 when Andrews Elementary School was built on County Line Road. The high school moved out of the Alder Street campus in 2001 to the current campus on County Line Road. The gym on the campus and sport fields are currently used by the rec department. The remainder of the campus (save the shop which will become the EMS station) was torn down in 2011 to make way for a central park and community center.
The current campus is on County Line Road. The school was moved to it in 2001 under the guidance of Rene King. In 2011, the Andrews Schools celebrated their 100th anniversary, and the schools look forward to celebrating their 100th graduating class in 2013 (there was no graduating class in 1930)
Principals of Andrews High School
Artifacts from the Schools
Many mementos of the old Andrews School remain, though. Desks from the Morgan Ave grammar school can be found at the Andrews Old Town Hall Museum. The 1922 AHS cornerstone, many old annuals including the first annual from 1936, and Yellow Jacket sport memorabilia can also be found at the Old Town Hall Museum. Many pictures from Rosemary School, old annuals, Cobra sport memorabilia, and the portraits of the principals can also be found at the Old Town Hall Museum. The portraits of long time principal of AHS J.E.Millard and long time superintendent of the Andrews School, C.C. Garris can be found in the Media Center of Andrews High School, and the portrait of long-time principal of AHS Webber Rowell can be found in the Gallery Hallway of AHS.